This blog post will contain the timeline of my trip to Alor Setar, Kedah via public transportation from Nibong Tebal, Penang. The title mentioned from Parit Buntar, Perak because I took the KTM Komuter from Parit Buntar KTM station. Even though my house located in Nibong Tebal area, but it is nearer to Parit Buntar KTM station compared to Nibong Tebal KTM station. This post also will include some picture and budget needed for the trip, and not to forget what’s good to explore in Alor Setar. Enjoy!
The timeline of my trip via KTM Komuter
|4:06pm ||Started my trip from my house by booking a GRAB to Parit Buntar KTM Station. |
|4:15pm||Arrive at Parit Buntar KTM Station. Brought Komuter ticket to Alor Setar, Kedah|
|4:38pm||Komuter to Bukit Mertajam arrives at Platform 1. |
|5:00pm||Komuter arrives at Bukit Mertajam KTM Station. Off the komuter and wait for next komuter to Alor Setar, Kedah (transit at Bukit Mertajam)|
|5:38pm||Komuter from Bukit Mertajam to Alor Setar depart|
|6:35pm||Arrive at Alor Setar KTM Station|
Komuter from Parit Buntar KTM Station to Alor Setar KTM Station took about 2 hours including the time for transit at Bukit Mertajam KTM Station. Transit time was about 40 minutes. Passengers need to leave the platform and wait for the announcement upstairs. The waiting room is available at the station, but the seats are limited.
There are lots of GRAB and Taxi available around Alor Setar KTM Station, mine just took about 2 mins to arrive at the station. Without the GRAB fare, the total budget for transportation from Parit Buntar to Alor Setar is just RM6.50! 😀
Alor Setar is the state capital of Kedah. It is the second-largest city in the state after Sungai Petani. The public and private sectors operate from Sunday to Thursday every week, and their weekend falls on Friday and Saturday ( more info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alor_Setar )
So, what’s good in Alor Setar?
Here some of the best place to visit when in Alor Setar:
- Pekan Rabu Although the name literally means “Wednesday Market”, this market is open all week long. It sells a variety of handicrafts and is a popular spot for tourists and locals.
2. Zahir Mosque one of the grandest and oldest mosques in Malaysia, having been built in 1912. The Zahir Mosque has been voted as one of the top 10 most beautiful mosques in the world.
3. Alor Setar Tower Apart from serving the role of a telecommunication tower, it also caters as a tourist destination for the town. The tower also houses some restaurants and a souvenir shop. The tower is an observatory tower to look for the crescent moon to mark the beginning of Ramadhan, Shawal and Zulhijjah to celebrate Ramadhan, Hari Raya Aidilfitri and Hari Raya Aidiladha, respectively.
4. Muzium Padi (Paddy Museum) the first paddy museum in Malaysia, and the fourth in the world after Japan, Germany and the Philippines.
5. Stadium Darul Aman This is a multipurpose stadium which mainly used for football matches. They have Bazaria Larut Malam @ Stadium Darul Aman every day starting from 8 pm to 2 am outside this stadium.
More places to visit when in Alor Setar here https://www.thecrazytourist.com/25-best-things-to-do-in-alor-setar/
- Nasi Lemak Royale Make sure you go to the correct place, there are few Nasi Lemak Royale branch available around Alor Setar, but the best food is at the original branch. Its nasi Lemak served with nasi kandar style.
- Gulai 7 Kawah A local restaurant served a variety of food selection. Open Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 8 pm. Ayam percik was delicious, grilled fish was also good. Tasty food and nice ambience. You get to know a few fun facts about Kedah while you eating there. Free ‘sirih‘ (betel) available for those who want to try eating sirih.
- Sis Bro Kitchen nobody suggested this location before, we went here accidentally because we are searching for food at midnight, the food here was good, they also got live band performance, price quite ok, Oblong was good, pasta Aglio olio was incredibly delicious, meatball was just ok, they are open until 2 am.
More food hunting idea from TripAdvisor here https://www.tripadvisor.com.my/Restaurants-g298282-Alor_Setar_Kota_Setar_District_Kedah.html
Got any amazing place or tips to share when in Alor Setar? Share with me in the comment! Enjoy your trip! ^_^